Thursday, January 12, 2012

Book Review: The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde


Let me start by saying that this novel is not what you're expecting. Yes, there's the experiment gone wrong and the multiple personalities of Jekyll and Hyde, but that just sets the stage for Robert Louis Stevenson (the author) to explore some very deep and dark parts of humanity.
Structurally, I didn't enjoy the very long paragraphs in the novel, but something about the novel kept me interested. I didn't notice anything special that Stevenson did, but Stevenson kept it interesting. It's very hard to pinpoint my point of interest though. However, the final paragraph is absolutely golden!
For his time, Stevenson was a bit of a genius. I really enjoyed his exploration of the darkness inside the human heart. Jekyll is a well kept and intelligent man, but Hyde is the beast inside of him. Hyde wants to have fun and do whatever he wants. Hyde is the physical manifestation of Jekyll's anger and twisted thoughts.
The novel left me with a haunting chill. I wanted more Jekyll and Hyde, more of their story. It really got me thinking about the 'Hyde' in all of us.
(Original Post on January 12, 2012 at: http://dft.ba/-BSMeyers107 )

No comments:

Post a Comment