Thursday, June 23, 2011

Different Kinds of Writing (Which Turned Into... "Tell Me My Writing Sucks."

I know that what I’m about to tell you may come as a shock, but brace yourself. I’m not paying your heart attack bill. Writers don’t just write books. Shocker, right?

In reality, writer’s write books, poems, television shows, movies, news articles, plays, musicals and songs. Did I leave any out? All of these different forms of writing make up what we call media. You may think it doesn’t take much to write a movie, but look at it this way. Movie writers have to write a script for each actor/actress. Depending on the movie there can be a lot of talking. They also have to come up with a plot and the characters. This is the same for the writers of television shows.

Now, I mean no disrespect, but if you’re new to this whole writing thing, you may find yourself asking, “Is it really that hard to write a poem, or a song?” The answer depends. If you write a song where every other phrase is, “That’s not my name” or you have to write about the fact that today is Friday and your biggest worry is which seat to sit in… personally, I don’t think you’re that great of a writer.

(I’m also a bit disgusted with the fact that I had to google, “Friday Lyrics” because I’ve never actually listened to that song any longer than, “It’s Friday”. I’m currently going to pause writing this post so I can delete that search from my browser history.)

Back on topic… I think *all* poetry is good. It may not call to me, it may not apply to me, but it calls to the poet that wrote it and it may very well call to someone else out there. It’s the same with books. Now, there are some bad books out there, but I won’t mention anything specific. *coughsparklecoughcoughvampirescoughcoughvomit* Okay, that was a little mean, I’m sure Stephanie Meyer loves her books and I’m sure there are people that like them that aren’t crazy, obsessive, teenage girls. It’s my own personal opinion that I don’t like sparkling vampires.

Lets get back on topic again. My original intention for writing this post was to inform you that writers don’t just write books. I’ve done that, but now I feel the need to say this. If you don’t like my previous comment about that series (which I refuse to insult my blog by including its title in this post) then you can feel free to find a copy of my first novel once it’s published and if you don’t like it, go ahead and tell me. There’s a comment box right below this, and every other, post on this blog. Go right ahead and tell me you think my writing sucks because I welcome the input.

And if anyone doesn’t like my comments about Rebecca Black’s song or The Ting Tings’ song, I reserve the right to my own opinion. I personally don’t listen to much music outside of the 70′s and 80′s because I think once we got into the mid 90′s, music died.

(Original Post on June 18, 2011 at: http://dft.ba/-BSMeyers61

No comments:

Post a Comment