Thursday, June 23, 2011

"To light a candle is to cast a shadow"

While writing an essay today, I realized how much I love A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. LeGuin. I first read the novel in my ninth grade English class. As you can probably imagine, in ninth grade I wasn’t that interested in reading. I’m still not, but I’m getting better after selecting better novels for my taste.

LeGuin’s writing is somewhat simplistic. However, she uses a juxtaposition of light and dark imagery very well. The story itself is follows a young wizard by the name of Ged. In an effort to preserve his pride, he attempts to summon a spirit of the the dead and in turn releases a dark shadow. Ged is forced to run and hide from the shadow. His journey takes him all across Earthsea as he learns about himself and others along the way.

What I find most fascinating about the novel is the quote, “To light a candle is to cast a shadow.” I’m sure many of you have heard it before. LeGuin is trying to convey the concept that there cannot be light without darkness… good without evil. I don’t know why, but I was drawn to this as soon as I read it.

A Wizard of Earthsea is the first novel in a trilogy followed by The Tombs of Atuan and The Farthest Shore. There are also two supplementary novels, Tehanu and The Other Wind. I have not read them, but I am confident that they are just as magical and will draw you in just as well.

Ursula K. LeGuin has 8 more novels in her Hainish Cycle Series and seven other individual novels.

(Just as a note, I love her name even though, Ursula, isn’t a very enticing name, in my opinion.)

(Original Post on June 17, 2011 at: http://dft.ba/-BSMeyers60 )

No comments:

Post a Comment