Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Habits

When writing, I find that I have some good habits, and some not-so-good ones. When I get writer’s block, it is usually because I am trying to do too much with a simple concept at once. For instance, I was trying to introduce a love interest and when I started, (This sounds absolutely ridiculous right now.) I tried to do it all in one chapter. I was rushing a concept that I really liked. When I slowed down, the next chapters practically wrote themselves. Another problem I seem to have is that I am thinking too far ahead. Now, it is important to have an idea of what’s going to happen later, but you shouldn’t be writing the end before you’ve written the beginning. I try to focus on one bit at a time.

At other times, I find that I don’t like what I just wrote. Rather than getting frustrated and “giving up”, I simply re-read what I just wrote and see how I can make it better. I try to never stop writing unless I want to write more. This guarantees not only that I am happy with my work, but that I will come back and write more.

So what are you’re good and bad habits? Better yet, are you willing to share them?

(Original Post on April 22, 2011 at: http://dft.ba/-BSMeyers14 )

No comments:

Post a Comment