Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Imitation

It’s said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. However, what I’ve learned as a writer is to never try and emulate your favorite author. This may be hard. I under stand the overwhelming urge to compare your work to famous authors. You want to write something amazing and be famous. Trust me, I get that, but when I started writing, I tried to become J.K. Rowling or Douglas Adams. I tried to emulate their styles and write something amazing. It failed.

I figured out that the best thing to do when writing is to be yourself. Develop your own style and write with your emotions. Be you! There’s nothing more important than pouring everything you’ve got in that Universe of the mind onto paper. If you want to be a great writer, pour your soul into your story. Don’t try to steal someone else’s soul as your own.

(Original Post on May 15, 2011 at: http://dft.ba/-BSMeyers36 )

No comments:

Post a Comment