Wednesday, May 18, 2011

My First Writing

I want to take some time and reflect on my oldest “writing”. When I was very young, I made up a civilization called “The Armani”. Apparently when I created them, their spoken language was English and their written language was “Armani”. I made an alphabet in which I copied the number system from the second “Myst” game, “Riven”: Riven Numbers.

Even stranger still, their religious beliefs greatly mimicked Shintoism. (An ancient Japanese belief in nature spirits.) They believed that the elements controlled their lives and their ancestors determined their future. On top of this, their were five tribes of “The Armani”: “Dani”, Earth; “Gani”, lightning; “Mani”, wind; “Rani”, water; and “Vani”, fire.

I even wrote a brief, one page, history of the civilization, which I’m going to type up for you, spelling errors and all:

“The Armani were once a group of strong and fearless beings until the entire planet was atacked by the Sols! The mass amount of polution during the war destroyed the planets atmosphere aloung with the ozone! They quickly made a new Armanon colony consisting of a group of air dome’s. They soon discovered that besides the race that attacked them there were the humans! They found us and we helped them rebuild their colony! Soon the Armanon colony became a utopion society, known throughout the galaxy as the Armanon Empire!

They share our galaxy and our spoken language. We soon discovered the planets horendous storms caused by the loss of ozone. The Armani studied these storms and they soon found out that they were caused by an elemental force! The storms destroyed anything outside the domed colony so getting to the planet was an almost impossible task. Almost!

Their technology was so advanced. They were billions of years ahead of us. They shared their technology with us and they soon built a teleportation system on our planet making the task of getting there childs play.

The Sols were a group of silocon based beings. Their outer apearance was like a machine. Their entire life force was a type of electrical force. When they saw how fast we helped the Armani recover they were furious! They soon attacked us and we had to evacuate earth! Some left by ship others by teleportation pads. The Armani soon sent a battle fleet to help save earth, but it was to late! All was lost! The human race soon started living on Armani. Soon the Sols were destroyed when we attacked their life force! Armani was now our home. The Armanon-Earthen Empire!”

Just a quick critique of my childhood spelling/grammar abilities… I had no idea how to use commas or what the difference between “to” and “too” was, but I was all set with my “there/their/they’re”s. I was just bad at spelling when I called the “Armanan Empire” the “Armanon Empire”… and I just discovered that spell check accepts “Earthen” as a word. All in all, only 9 spelling errors.
 
As for the idea, I think it is brilliant considering the age I was. These “Sols” were based on the Dredge from a movie called Titan A.E. Apparently I knew what a utopia was and had a loose understanding of silicon.

This was the first thing I ever did that resembled a book, but at the time I didn’t intend for it to be a book. Later on, before I wrote my first book, I tried to write a book based on this story, but using the “Ark” concept from Doom. (A teleportation device that went from Earth to Mars.) However, this “book” never got farther than two paragraphs.

(Original Post on May 12, 2011 at: http://dft.ba/-BSMeyers33 )

No comments:

Post a Comment